Hi Byron,

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 03:23, Byron Scott wrote:
> I have the following table:
>
> CREATE TABLE phpSP_users (
>    primary_key mediumint(8) unsigned DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL auto_increment,
> [...]
>    PRIMARY KEY (primary_key),
>    KEY user (user),
>    KEY primary_key (primary_key)
> );

You can ditch the last key line.

> My host has phpMyAdmin 2.0.1 and MySQL 3.22.21.

Wow, your host is running quite an old version of the MySQL Server
there!

> When I delete rows from the database in phpMyAdmin, it does not update the
> Primary_Key field, so the numbers are NOT sequential.  Would this pose a
> problem?

No. When you delete a row, that does not affect other rows (nor should
it).

> I've tried to run "myisamchk",  "CHECK TABLE" through phpMyAdmin but it
> doesn't work. It gives me a syntax error all the time.

Indeed, those internal commands were implemented somewhere in the 3.23
series.

> I was thinking perhaps that I might have another type of table becasue of my
> MySQl version, I ran
> ALTER TABLE to change it to a MYISAM table.  That didn't give me any errors
> but I still could not run CHECK TABLE.

MyISAM was first introduced in 3.23.
The 3.22 version your host is running may just ignore the TYPE parameter
in the ALTER TABLE statement, but the table type will still be old ISAM.

> I tried running the "isamchk" (old command) no luck.

No luck in what way?
Do you have command line access on the server, and are you allowed to
stop/start the server?

Regards,
Arjen.

--