From: Victoria Reznichenko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 10:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: multiple character sets in one database

Chris,

CG> Hello
CG> I would like to know how to use different languages in different tables
(one
CG> language/character set per table). The idea being users can view web
page
CG> data in their own language. Some of this content will need to be
sortable.

CG> For example:
CG> - english
CG> - french
CG> - russian
CG> - japanese

CG> I am new to MySQL and am using a "pre-packed" MySQL 3.23.46 install on
CG> Solaris. So I do not now how (or if I can) to do recompiles if that is
CG> necessary.
CG> Could some please give me advice if this is possible? And if so how?

MySQL doesn't support it now, but it is in plans to do full support to
the table and query level.

You can only use one character set at a time for one instance of
mysqld. You need to restart, or start another instance of mysqld if
you want to use two character sets. For manading multiple MySQL server look
at:
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqld_multi.html

When a character set is changed, any tables involved should be
reindexed with myisamchk -q -r, like you said you've done.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko