Hello, MySQL users,

We have discovered several issues with our 3.23.49 x86 Linux binary, and will
be releasing 3.23.49a as soon as they are resolved. This time we will do a
more thorough testing before the release takes place. If somebody wants to
help us test 3.23.49a Linux binary before it is released, send me a private
mail.

The issues are:

a) If your /etc/nsswitch.conf has line passwd:compat and nscd ( Name Service
Caching Daemon) is not running, MySQL will not be able to run properly when
you give it --user argument failing in getpwent() - workaround is to install
nscd or edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and replace "compat" with "files". The side
effect of the workaround is that other applications might be negatively
affected, although this should be rather uncommon. As most Linux
distributions now run nscd, this issue does not come up in many cases. The
only affected system we know about is Slackware 8.

b) All time functions return time in GMT - workaround is to do export
TZ=/etc/localtime in the shell that starts mysqld.

We have a permanent solution for both issues which will be available in
3.23.49a. This applies only to x86 Linux - other operating systems are not
affected.

For the curious, we have discovered some  library incompatibility issues and
needed to re-build our patched glibc that we link MySQL against. So,
unfortunately, we've run into a few glitches during the process. However,
this glibc ordeal will produce some good - we will finally prepare and
publish easy to follow and precise instructions on how we build our magic
super-power Linux binary - having learned my lessons I am documenting every
single thing I am doing before I do it.

--
MySQL Development Team
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/