Hiya forum..

I have my site powered by MySQL server running on
FreeBSD.
The site is facing problems when the traffic
increases.Database connectivity is through JDBC.My
poolman is managing the
database connections with 30 connections set, and is
growable.People have started getting error when the
rush increases...

Error : Communication failure : Bad Handshake.
          Is there a MySQL server running on the port
          connectivity error.

I suspect the max_connection variable which is default
set to 100 reaches and the server refuses further
connection.We have probed for any unused database
connections hold by the Java.But we have religiously
returned the connection back to the poolmanager after
its used...

I am running my development MySQL server on windows
NT. Having gone thru the MySQL manual..for performance
tuning the server,we came across many variables which
can affect the server performance.

So i issue the following commands:

c:\> cd mysql\bin

start the server    c:\>mysqld
set the variable    c:\>mysqld -O back_log=200 --help

Looks like it updates the server..but when i see it
thru the WinMySQLAdmin ,after restarting the server
again ,it does not reflect there and displays the
default settings.

We have a production server running....Can any
experienced people guide me how to update this server
variable onto my remote server.

Thanx.

Vijay Khanna
System Analyst