Sorry Dan, I had actually replied to Steve who had asked the same
question but I forgot to reply to the list with this:

here is the query:

select catval,catdescr from embiteccat
         where catzid=$zid and catlid=$lid and catunder=$cat order by
catdescr;

Here is a some data:

36,1,1,,0,0,2(12+1) Long,,,,,,,0,0,,,,,prodsku,,6,:6:36:,0,0,1,10
38,1,1,,0,0,24+1 Landscape,,,,,,,0,0,,,,,prodsku,,6,:6:38:,0,0,1,10
41,1,1,,0,0,6 Portrait,,,,,,,0,0,,,,,prodsku,,6,:6:41:,0,0,1,10
43,1,1,,0,0,24+1 Long,,,,,,,0,0,,,,,prodsku,,6,:6:43:,0,0,1,10
44,1,1,,0,0,2(24+1) X-Long,,,,,,,0,0,,,,,prodsku,,6,:6:44:,0,0,1,10

where catdesc is the 7th field (ie, 2(12+1) Long etc. So far all I can
think of is that I have to load it into an array, sort the array with
some php function or grep and then spit it out...

So - yes you are correct - I want everything before the alphabetic
characters, (number, parenthesis, + sign) to be ignored and then to sort
by the alpha.

TIA,

Nicole

DL Neil wrote:

> Hi Nicole,
> Perhaps it's me, but I'm having trouble following you - as I did with the question
>I've just finished responding
> to...
>

>>I have looked at the online documentation and the mysql books that I
>>have but can find no answer.  I have a field that looks like this:
>>
>>(8+2) Landscape
>>

> I take it that this is the data value stored in the field. What does the schema look
>like?
>

>>I want to sort on the alphabetic characters.  My mysql query does an
>>order by this field and that returns a numeric order (which for me is
>>not terribly useful.)
>>

> What do you mean by "numeric order"? If there was another row containing:
>
> (72+18) Landscape
>
> Then it would likely appear before the row you mentioned - and not in a "numeric"
>sequence at all.
>
> Do you mean that you want the parentheses, the digits, the plus sign, AND the space
>character ignored for the
> purposes od the sequence, and thereafter that the values should be treated as alpha?
>
> Is there any possibility of numerics appearing after the first alpha character?
>Would that matter or would they
> have to be ignored as well?
>

>>So - is there a function or way I can sort this array alphabetically
>>rather than numerically?
>>

> Yes there are various ways and means, right up to the 'expensive' regular expression
>function. I think we can
> solve this one quickly enough - given a good understanding so we don't end up
>chasing red herrings!
>
> Please post the query you are using currently, together with a few rows of output.
>Then highlight the problem by
> showing the sequence that you would prefer to see.
>
> Please advise,
> =dn

Nicole Lallande
[EMAIL PROTECTED]