jim,
Monday, February 25, 2002, 5:26:35 AM, you wrote:

j> Hi all,

j> Please forgive the elementary question but I am new to MySQL and DBs in
j> general.

j> I have inherited a MySQL DB to which the root password is not available,  I
j> have read the documentation on the subject but my best efforts have failed
j> to elicit the desired result from MySQL.

j> Could some one out there please tell me what I am missing or what form of
j> advanced muppetry I can committing with the information below.

j> I can stop the sever without any difficulty using the instructions, next I
j> restart the server with;

j> # /usr/bin/safe_mysql --skip-grant-tables &

j> the response to which is;

j> [2] 7494
j> [1] Done        /usr/bin/safe_mysql --skip-grant-tables
j> # starting mysqld daemon from /var/lib/mysql

j> Then I use mysqladmin command thus;

j> # mysqladmin -h localhost -u root password 'new_password'

j> The response to which is;

j> mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'You must have privileges to
j> update tables in the mysql database to be able to change passwords for
j> others'

j> AFAIK my syntax seems correct but knowing so little about MySQL at this
j> point I confess to being stuck.  Thanks to anyone willing to help me out in
j> advance.

Jim, I would recommend you to use GRANT statement to set privileges for
users. If you start mysqld with --skip-grant-tables option don't
forget to do 'FLUSH PRIVILEGES' before using GRANT.

You can find info about GRANT at:
    http://www.mysql.com/doc/G/R/GRANT.html

j> Peace Jim

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko