Hi ,

   I am using Mysql in Linux OS. I created a table in Mysql. The table has 3
fields and one is Primary key among them. I have populated 40K entries in
the table. While populating the entries in the table,  For each 500 entries
that i populated in the table, i have searched for a single entry in the
table using primary key and measured the time taken to complete the search.
As the Number of entries grows in the table, the time taken to search for a
entry  are  increasing linearly. Why is the time increases linearly? Is this
the Mysql behavior? I read in Myself manual that, by default Mysql creates
index file(.MYI) on Primary Key using B-Tree algorithm.

  My Question is , When Mysql using B-Tree for searching, Why the time taken
to search for entries increases linearly as the entries in the table grows?
According to B-Tree algorithm, the time has to be O(log n) , which is not
linear as n increases. Even though if we  assume disk overhead as some
constant (typically O(log m), where m is the order  ), it is not linear.
Why is this happening ? Can any one help me out?

Thank You,
Battini Chandra Sekhar.