> Direct copying files is not recommended way to backup databases.

Is this true even for a "dormant" system? I plan to have a pair of
replicated servers. I intended to do backup by stopping the slave, copying
the files, then starting the slave again (at which point I hope it will
catch up with updates while it was off line). Is this not a good idea? It
seems to me the fastest way of getting a clean copy, because it does not
require any access to the internals of the database nor reformatting.

     Alec Cawley

mysql, database

<<--
This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only.  Its contents
may be privileged or confidential and should be treated as such.  If
you are not an intended recipient please notify the sender immediately;
do not copy, distribute, or take any action based on this e-mail; and
then delete it. In the pursuit of its legitimate business activities
and its conformance with relevant legislation, Quantel Ltd. may access
any e-mail (including attachments) it originates and receives, for
potential scrutiny.

Check out Quantel's new website, packed full of information, at :
http://www.quantel.com