hello edna and brian,

your life savers! thank you for getting back to me.

i've done the chown and chmod which went well! then i typed:

mysql_install_db

this then said 'installing all prepared tables' and a message saying:

/usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

after that the default kind of welcome screen (that i've seen before when i
installed mysql on a win2000 pc) came up reminding me to set root passwords
ect.

i tried this and no joy... the default stuff seems to have gone in and when
the machine boots up it does say 'starting xsf' and then goes on about
starting the mysql daemon using /var/lib/mysql ect ect....

i also tried the:

service mysqld start

and get a message saying:

mysqld: unrecognised service

have i missed something again?

thank you for any help you can chuck my way!

many thanks,

jake

p.s. has anyone ever found a complete tutorial on the web for installing
redhat, php and mysql? i've searched and found stuff that seems to bear no
relation to what i'm trying to do!

actually, once i get this up and running, i'm seriously thinking of setting
up a site that has this kind of thing on it - i've been using
http://www.entropy.ch to help me with php and mysql on mac osX and it's
first class! i cant believe theres not one for redhat....