I had install today THE RPM version 2.23.49 of MySQL,
files I took from MYSQL.com (and mirrors).
I have a linux computer, RedHat version 7.2
I had no problem with rpm -i, except with the bench
rpm file.
When I do the command 'mysql_install_db' I have a
message who begins by 'Installation of grant table
failed', message who comes from the mysql_install_db
script when a problem arrive with tables creation;
If I try the command '/usr/sbin/mysqld --bootstrap
--skip-grant-tables --basedir=/
--datadir=/var/lib/mysql --skip-innodb --skip-gemini
--skip-bdb' I obtain this message :
'mysqld got signal 4;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also
possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is
corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by
malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will
hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed,
something is definitely wrong
and this may fail

key_buffer_size=8388600
record_buffer=131072
sort_buffer=2097144
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (record_buffer +
sort_buffer)*max_connections = 225791 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the
equation

Attempting backtrace. You can use the following
information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this,
something went
terribly wrong...
Bogus stack limit or frame pointer, fp=0xbffff038,
stack_bottom=0x75725f, thread_stack=65536, aborting
backtrace.
Trying to get some variables.
Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to
abort...
thd->query at 0x38696f6b  is invalid pointer
thd->thread_id=0

Successfully dumped variables, if you ran with --log,
take a look at the
details of what thread 0 did to cause the crash.  In
some cases of really
bad corruption, the values shown above may be invalid

The manual page at
http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/r/Crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is
causing the crash'

Result from the mysqldebug command :
>Originator:    root
>Category:      mysql
>Class:
>Release:       mysql-3.23.49 (Official MySQL RPM)
>Environment: System: Linux thelinux 2.4.7-10 #1 Thu
Sep 6 17:21:28 EDT 2001 i586 unknown
Architecture: i586

Some paths:  /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/make
/usr/bin/gmake

Compilation info: CC='gcc'  CFLAGS='-O6
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -mpentium'  CXX='gcc'
CXXFLAGS='-O6 -fno-omit-frame-pointer
-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
-mpentium'  LDFLAGS=''
LIBC:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 fév 28
10:51 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.4.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      5716491 sep  4
21:36 /lib/libc-2.2.4.so
Configure command: ./configure --disable-shared
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
--with-client-ldflags=-all-static
--with-other-libc=/usr/local/mysql-glibc
--without-berkeley-db --without-innodb
--enable-assembler --enable-local-infile
--with-mysqld-user=mysql
--with-unix-socket-path=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
--prefix=/ --with-extra-charsets=complex
--exec-prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/sbin
--sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share
--localstatedir=/var/lib/mysql --infodir=/usr/info
--includedir=/usr/include --mandir=/usr/man
'--with-comment=Official MySQL RPM' CC=gcc 'CFLAGS=-O6
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -mpentium' 'CXXFLAGS=-O6
-fno-omit-frame-pointer
-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
-mpentium' CXX=gcc
/* End of result from the mysqldebug command. */

What can I do ?
I tried to modify the max-connections number (I put it
to 10) but with no more success.
Thanks,
Sandrine