Alvin,

AA> I am having problem with my existing application (writen in VB with ODBC to
AA> an Access database). The program "starts crawling.." after running for a
AA> period of time. Slow down the entire production process.

AA> I was advise to change the database as the problem was most likely to be due
AA> to the Access database.

AA> Can anyone please advise how i could go abt it and what are the things i
AA> should look out for?

AA> Can i just install myODBC and export Access database to mySQL? Not sure how
AA> to do that too...

 Three days ago Steve Rapaport posted a good instruction about porting MS
 Access database to MySQL. Here is an edited quote of a message from
 Steve comes:
       Basically the easiest way is to export the Access database
       using "export" from the file menu, in a "CSV" format with
       quotation marks around strings.

       Caution 1: You will need to remove or escape any newlines
       in your Access database.  For some stupid reason Access
       allows them in the fields, but has no way to search or replace
       on them!

       Caution 2: Use "Tab" instead of comma as a field separator.

       Then, in Mysql, make a new database.You will need to manually
       create the same scheme for each table (this is necessary because there
       is no way to guess or export the Access scheme, that I know)
       Indicate the type and size of each field in each table.
       ORDER IS IMPORTANT. If you get the fields in a different order,
       this will NOT WORK.

       Last, on the machine running mysql, change directory to the
       directory containing the export files, which you may wish to name
       table1.sql, table2.sql, etc.

       Use mysqlimport to put them into the database.  See the
       documentation on mysqlimport for this.  Be careful to specify
       the same separator, enclosed-by, etc. as you did when exporting.

       Caution 3:  If you get this step wrong, it may still *appear*to
       work but your data will not be right.  Try again.  Don't be disturbed
       if it takes a few tries.  you can use "DROP DATABASE name" to delete
       the previous try.

Steve, thanks for good answer :)

You can also use different administration packages such as
MySQL-Front etc.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko