I need to change the variable ft_min_word_len, in mysql 4.0.1

The manual doesn't say how:

Here's the closest it comes:

SHOW VARIABLES shows the values of some MySQL system variables. You can also
get this information using the mysqladmin variables command. If the default
values are unsuitable, you can set most of these variables using command-line
options when mysqld starts up.
See section 4.1.1 mysqld Command-line Options.

(Apparently not this one, it's not mentioned in the link.)

later in the page...

ft_min_word_len The minimum length of the word to be included in a FULLTEXT
index. Note: FULLTEXT index have to be rebuilt after changing this variable.

Again no mention of how it can be changed.

Anyone know?  I hope I don't have to rebuild the dist...
-steve