* Benjamin Pflugmann
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 07:10:10PM +0100,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > ...but as long as 0.55-0.5 != 0.05 I will call it a bug. It may be well
> > known and hard to fix, but that does not make the expression right. :)
>
> Well, IMHO no, a bug is an unexpected flaw.

I have to agree with you... it is not a bug, it is an expected flaw. I _did_
not expect it, but I do now... :)

[me about mysql should not support floating point]
> Think the other way around: If the other option is to have no floating
> point type at all, a "not perfect" one may be good enough for many
> cases.

I agree, to some extent, but a growing number of users are 'normal people',
not coders/programmers... sql has this nasty 'human language'-like syntax,
which may seem as an invite for non-nerds... they wouldn't understand rtfm
even if you spelled it out... ;o)

Thanks for your detailed explanations! :o)

However, this does not explain the original problem (slightly modified):

mysql> select *,round(number,digits) from testme;
| number   | digits | round(number,digits) |
| 100.4235 |      3 |             100.4230 |
|  85.4321 |      1 |              85.4000 |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

The padding zeroes...?

--
Roger