On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 14:58:33 +0100, Roger Baklund wrote:

>* Roger Baklund
>> I came across what I think is a serious inconsistency.

>> This page describes DECIMAL (and NUMERIC) as an exact precission type.

>> This page includes DECIMAL as one of the approximate numeric
>> types, and does not mention NUMERIC.
>
>Am I alone on this...? I thought it was pretty serious... what am I missing?

No, you're not alone.  I suspect the lack of responses is related to (pick as many as
you wish):

1.  It isn't a concern to experienced personnel because they already have knowledge
about number types and
manipulation.  They ignore the inconsistencies in the documents and move on.
2.  It isn't yet a concern to newbies because it is hidden by issues of "just getting
the system to work" which
include learning how to structure data and write a simple query.
3.  Correcting the document doesn't squash bugs in the software.
4.  Programmers HATE preparing documentation.
5.  Your post came just before the weekend and everyone is giving their brain time
out.  ;)

However,...
It was a surprise to me also to learn that DECIMAL is floating point in MySQL rather
than BCD fixed point.

>--
>Roger

Doug