I tried putting --local-infile in my server script and local-infile in the
/etc/my.cnf file.  I also placed a number or logging cammands in the startup
script hoping to catch lower level messages.  There appears to be little
effect on anything.
Regards, Tom Birchmire
< -- script and log stuff
Startup Script using --local-infile

#! /bin/sh
cd /usr/local/mysql/
./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql --local-infile --warnings --log-long-format  &

MYSQL Session with error

mysql> select * from pet
    -> ;
| name     | owner  | species | sex  | birth      | death |
| Puffball | Diane  | hamster | f    | 1999-03-30 | NULL  |
| Fluffy   | Harold | cat     | f    | 1993-02-04 | NULL  |
2 rows in set (0.03 sec)

mysql> load data local infile "/home/tomb01/data/pet.txt" into table pet;
ERROR 1148: The used command is not allowed with this MySQL version
mysql> quit