Ok,
 I'm an idiot. I had    datadir = c:/_data/mysql/
when I should have had  datadir = c:/_data/mysql/data/

 I had some help though (I can't place all the blame on myself, ego
issues ya know).

I find this paragraph utterly confusing in MySQL Ref. Manual version
4.0.2-alpha See "Node Windows prepare environment"

#-----------------------------------------
[mysqld]
basedir=the_install_path  #e.g. c:/mysql
datadir=the_data_path  #e.g. c:/mysql/data or d:/mydata/data

If the data directory is other than the default c:\mysql\data, you must
cut the whole \data\mysql directory and paste it on the your option new
directory, e.g.: d:\mydata\mysql.

And, many of the user comments listed here:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/N/T/NT_start.html
seem to indicate there were problems when trying to _install_ in a
non-standard location. There _may_ be. But, it seems the datadir path is
respected (works) fine (although I didn't try a path name with spaces)

Miguel, Thanks again for your time. Thanks to your persistance I have
MySQL installed with the data where I want it. :)

-Ryan