You can use "logical lock" - set a STATUS int <>0 (probably the ID of user)
to indicate someone started to edit it interactively to block other user to
edit the same record.
Before you write it back to disk, read it again in a buffer to keep all data
possible changed by batch updates.
Or separate the table to 2 tables, one for each kind of update.
Also I use a kind of "transactions" before I know that exists, I don't
subtract from "items" directrly but I put it in a field named "keeps". If
user change his mind or something goes wrong, I only subtruct from "keeps"
fields.Otherwise I subtract from "items" and "keeps". Of course I have
create another temp file with the invoice.
I use these methods several years now mainly with C-tree from Faircom, they
work fine. But to tell you the true, I use Delphi with Interbase for this
kind of application on the net. I don't know if it's possible with PHP.

Can someone directs me to the avantages of Inno base comparing wtih default
MySQL?
Row locking is the bigest one as I can read here?

Thanks

Makis