John Hunter asked:

> Before I give up hope entirely, I notice that the file
> mysql/var/seizure/surgery.MYD is not empty, and has the values from
> the table before the delete in it.  Although it is a binary file,
> because it has large text fields I can read enough of it with 'less'
> to see that the data is still there.  (The database/table in question
> is seizure/surgery)
>
> So, are you really, really sure there is no way to get at this
> information with mysql?  It has not been deleted from the filesystem
> yet...

This begins to sound like a job for Perl. Of course, it would be nice if you
could get someone familiar with the internal formats mysql uses to give you
some hints, unless you are really good at reading source code.

Back up the directory tree twice, and work on one of the copies, of course.
And stay away from the beer until you're done.

(half in jest:)

Joel Rees