David Ayliffe queried:

> I hear MySQL 4.0.3 will support Unicode.  But what sort of Unicode do
> you mean
>
> UTF-8 encoding or UTF-16 or UCS or what?

>From what I've been reading on this list, it sounds like they have two
polarities of UTF-16 running, and are working on UTF-8. I might assume they
will also have UTF-32, but I might be wrong.

> Will the same sort be used
> internally as externally (UI)  what is used at the moment - standard
> ASCII?
>
> Can anyone clarify?

My guess is that there won't be any automatic conversion, but that is my
guess. It appears, from what little I've read so far, that they are not
doing any conversions at present, either, simply providing character
classification (ergo, C's ctype) tables/functions.

I also am interested in clarifications.

My POV -- because of differences of opinion concerning what characters are
equivalent to what, and similar problems, conversion is always risky, and
should be avoided in databases. Best to simply record what the encoding
should have been and store it as is.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka