On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 23:39, Joel Rees wrote:
> Sort of off topic, but here goes:
>
> Jim Philips wrote:
>
> > I am trying to understand how to store both Latin and Cyrillc characters
> > in a database. I built in support for koi-8 and win1251, but I don't
> > seem to be getting real support for Cyrillic. Cyrillic characters are
> > stored as ASCII
>
> Uhmmm, unless there is some parsing and conversion going on along with the
> storing, "storing as ASCII" really doesn't mean anything. A 0x5c (decimal
> 92) is neither back slash nor the yen (JPY) mark. If you are reading text
> from an American source (but not EBCDIC), you think it is backslash, but if
> you are reading text from a Japanese (shift-JIS) source you think it is JPY.
> What you think of it when reading Cyrillic, I don't recall off-hand.
>
> > and are echoed back on the Web page that way.
>
> At any rate, this is what the browser is doing, not what MySQL is doing. You
> have to explicitly tell the browser to interpret those bits as one thing or
> another. Most browsers won't let you display more than one character
> set/encoding at a time.

My browser, Mozilla, regularly does this. It does it on the following
page, for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ukrainian/index.shtml

The page is mostly Ukrainian, but there are sections using Latin fonts
and they show up just fine too. Using the same browser, I am trying to
load Web pages where the data is stored in my local MySQL database. In
this case, Cyrillic characters are not interpreted and instead I get
something like:

* Би-би-си | Новости

So, I am trying to understand where the interpretation to Cyrillic
characters fails. It certainly isn't in my browser. Either the
application is using a print method that has problems with other
character sets or there is something wrong with the way I have set up
MySQL. As I said before, I did build it with support for koi-8 and
win1251. So, I am wondering if I missed something else I need to do to
enable support.