Hello Wout,

> Appareantly it's impossible to insert a string, consisting entirely
out of
> spaces, in a textual field (I've tried varchar(19) and char(2) types,
they
> both don't work). MySQL doesn't complain about it, but it trims the
strings
> down to the empty string. If I try a select searching for the
spaces-only
> string afterwards, it gives me zero results. The same problem occurs
when
> updating.
> The problem does not occur, however, when converting the columns to
"text"
> types.
>
> MySQL version: 3.23.47-nt
> OS: Windows NT 4.0
> Problem can be reproduced with MySQLGui and Java using the JDBC-MySQL
> bridge driver.
>
> Is this a bug or do I have to do something special to disable the
'string
> trimming'? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please note the last few lines of each msg on this list. It required
five seconds and the first 'hit' on a single search of the manual to
find a reference. Please read the (fine) manual:

6.2.3.1 The CHAR and VARCHAR Types

The CHAR and VARCHAR types are similar, but differ in the way they are
stored and retrieved.

The length of a CHAR column is fixed to the length that you declare when
you create the table. The length can be any value between 1 and 255. (As
of MySQL Version 3.23, the length of CHAR may be 0 to 255.) When CHAR
values are stored, they are right-padded with spaces to the specified
length. When CHAR values are retrieved, trailing spaces are removed.

Regards,
=dn