and then again..
restarted the server from..
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start

but of no use!
---
As suggested by:
Gerald Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

FROM babul USER..
i can not go to /var/lib/mysql where all the databse
directries/files are created..

so I hv changed teh dir/file perms of of
/var/lib/mysql/*.* to 777!!
and now its working..

when i execute

$mysql -u nedfi -pnedfi2001 nedfi

I get the mysql> prompt!!

lets see if I can do other works..

Thanks Gerald Clark !! for ur suggestion..
any idea or comments?

Babul