Hi Jari,

> >have not figured out if one can do character changes with mysql, any
one
> >know how to do the following for fields in a table
> >
> >Altering all the x-characters to character y ?
> >

> >=You sure can. Manual reference: 6.3.2 String Functions
> >REPLACE() will find the x-characters and replace them all with
character
> >y.
> >
> >=Regards,
> >=dn
> Thanks,
>
> I got the same reply moment ago :) somehow had the impression I cannot
use
> fields in the replace but just strings

That reply has not yet shown up on the list (yet) - perhaps the person
does not realise that by doing list members the 'favor' of not adding to
list volumes, it also does a disservice because others cannot see that
you have received a response and so waste their time and effort trying
to help you out.

(choice: more msgs to DELete, or wasting my time composing an answer to
a solved problem? - I know which I prefer!)

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying here... The manual gives
a single example:

select REPLACE('www.mysql.com', 'w', 'Ww');

which certainly does only use string-constant values. However the
template says "str", ie string expression (anything as long as it
evaluates to a string); so you can code:

select REPLACE( colNm, 'w', 'Ww');

and that will work.

However, if you want to try:

select REPLACE( colNm1, colNm2, colNm3 );

then I wouldn't like to say/haven't tried it - but have my doubts! If
that's your plan, then please try it, and I'll be interested to hear how
you get on...

In case you are a newbie: may I suggest that you add a new column to the
table (ALTER TABLE) and either copy the column that you are going to
string-edit (as a 'backup' that you could subsequently, quickly
'restore') or code the UPDATE to amend/insert at the new column instead
of overwriting the existing column - thus you can easily see 'before'
and 'after' values/debug! Of course, before you debug any UPDATE/DELETE
etc code, you backup the entire (valuable) table - right!?

Regards,
=dn