Hello Suresh,

SRS>  Hi Victoria,
SRS> I have good Sybase experience and I have installed MySQL in a
SRS> Linux box. Can u please answer my following queries:
SRS> 1. When I run safe_mysqld I get "Starting mysqld daemon with
SRS> database from /var/lib/mysql 020314 17:00:01 mysqld ended" do
SRS> this mean a successfull start or failure ?

MySQL server didn't started successfully. Look in the 'your_hostname.err' file in
MySQL data dir (default /var/lib/mysql/), you can find causes
of failed start.

SRS> 2. How to check if mysql server is up ?

 ps ax | grep mysqld

SRS> 3. Is there any startup log-file generated (Sybase generates
SRS> one ).

Yes, 'your_hostname.err' file in mysql data dir.

SRS> 4. Is there any default user created when the mysql is installed
SRS> ( in saybase it sa with null password)

Any user can connect to MySQL server to the database
'test' by default. User 'root' has all privileges without password. I recomend you to
change password for 'root'. ;)

You can find example of usage and info about changing password, adding new users,
setting grants for users in the manual:
       http://www.mysql.com/doc/D/e/Default_privileges.html
       http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/r/Privileges_provided.html
       http://www.mysql.com/doc/G/R/GRANT.html
       http://www.mysql.com/doc/A/d/Adding_users.html

SRS> I choose to ask you because I found a lot of mail from you so I
SRS> think you are already using it !!

Yes, you are right. :)

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko