Hello Again - I'm posting this again, since it still is an issue that I can
not resolve - please help!

  I've recently installed mySQL on a RH7.2 box without any problems - it runs
great.  I've been testing some long running queries (full table scans, etc)
under different scenarios, and get wildy differing results.   Between each test
case, I was flushing all tables and re-starting the mysql deamon.  When I run
one of my longest queries in the mysql command line client, it runs in about 77
seconds.

When I run the identical query via PHP running on the box, the same
query takes about 930 seconds to complete.  For the life of me, I can no figure
out why the identical query would run differently from the command line than
from PHP.  I've repeated this test about 10 times just to be sure - and it is
entirely repeatable: command line - about a minute - PHP - about 16 times
longer.  Any ideas or suggestions?

 I'm running RH 7.2 (2.4.9-21) on a Dell Poweredge 2550, 1GB memory, RAID, with
mysql version 3.23.41 (the standard install unchanged from the RH media).  Here
is the query...pretty simple:

            insert into summary_table
               select frb, denom, series,
               count(*) as cnt,
               sum(bills) as bills,
               sum(bills_hit) as bills_hit,
               sum(total_hits) as total_hits
               from detail_table

If it a memory/cpu resource problem, how do I set RH to give PHP and Apache the
same priority as the mysql deamon?

Thanks in advance..

-Hank