At 02:05 AM 3/14/2002, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I run mysql on windows as well as linux.
>table creation and access right are given  by  java program.
>
>Problem im facing is.,
>i create a table with name TEMP
>in windows in creates table with name "temp" and linux "TEMP"
>while giving rights thru GRANTstatement , it fails in windows cause it
>expect "TEMP" not  "temp"
>
>How can i create  table name with upper case  in Windows
>
>create table TEMP ( x varchar(6),  y varchar(6))
>this creates  a table with name temp......not TEMP
>

>help me with mysql

Anis,
         Talking from experience, it is best to create all database names
and table names in lower case. It will prevent a lot of grey hairs in the
future.
         You can have upper and lower case column names, but I also put
them in lower case to avoid mistyping the case of a letter. If you keep
everything in lowercase, life will be much easier.

Brent

Why or why couldn't MySQL have used case insensitive names in the first
place? Store everything in lower case internally, but allow the user to use
"Invoice_Number" or "invoice_number" or "INVOICE_NUMBER" in the SQL
statement and it should refer to the same column. Same with table names. I
don't see why you would want to have 3 different columns in the same table
with names "Invoice_Number", "invoice_number" and "INVOICE_NUMBER". Maybe
it's just me, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to have case insensitive
names. It just leads to typos and the code doesn't run. :-(