    Van> This means you need to re-initialize the slave; i.e. stop the
    Van> master and slave; copy the data dir to the slave; start the
    Van> slave (ensure the perms on the slave are correct first);
    Van> start the master.  If the error above had been
    Van> connectivity-related you'd have received different ERROR
    Van> messages in the log.

Ok, thanks for all you detailed help.  Unfortunately, I am still
having the same problem, so I want to provide a few more details.

1) I shut down the master and shut down the slave with
   '/etc/init.d/mysqld stop' on the master and slave

2) I changed all the ownership on the master to be mysql.mysql with
   chown -R /path/to/data/dir

3) I cd'd into the slave data dir.  This is the dir that has
   subdirs for the various mysql databases, which contain the *.MYD,
   *.MYI, *.frm files.  I updated the slave data dir with
   rsync -avz --delete  -e ssh root@nitace:/path/to/data/dir/ .
   This also copied all the mother-001.bin, mother-002.bin etc... files
   from the data dir of the master

4) I restarted the slave and got saw the message in the log that the
   slave could not connect to the master.  This was expected, because
   you said to restart the slave before the master (which I found
   confusing because the manual section 'Replication HOWTO' says to
   restart the master first

5) I restarted the master

6) After the 60 sec wait on the slave, it reattempted a connect to the
   master, which was by then alive, and I got the same error message
   (posted below) about the duplicate insertion from mother-002.bin.
   Although this is a binary file, I did 'less' on it and it has text
   that you can read.  The first command in that file is

      INSERT INTO multifile VALUES (
       2472160,
       '2001-3-9',
       '101.bmp',
       2
   Which is the line that the slave is complaining about.

When I sync my data dirs, the slave dir also has the mother-bin.*
files on it and it gets the mysql user dir from the master.  Is this
correct?

Stumped.

Thanks,
John Hunter

Master mysql version: 3.23.37
Slave mysql version: 3.23.36

Error message:

020315  9:30:52  Slave: connected to master '[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3306',  replication
started in log 'FIRST' at position 4
ERROR: 1062  Duplicate entry '2472160-101.bmp-2' for key 1
020315  9:30:52  Slave:  error running query 'INSERT INTO multifile VALUES (
       2472160,
       '2001-3-9',
       '101.bmp',
       2
       )'
020315  9:30:52  Error running query, slave aborted. Fix the problem, and re-start the
slave thread with "mysqladmin start-slave". We stopped at log 'mother-bin.002'
position 73
020315  9:30:52  Slave thread exiting, replication stopped in log
'mother-bin.002' at position 73