Hi,

i'm setting up a rather simple replication setup but i'm not
able to understand the behaviour of mysql (3.23.44)

- one server is master, all update are on master
- some of the databases on master should be replicated
  to some slaves; the others should not
- create/drop database/table should be replicated for
  theses databases
- cross updates should work

- If bin-log-do-db=xxx is set on master
and nothing on slaves, then - as stated somewhere
in the archive - crossupdates doesn't work. In addition,
create database is not recoginzed and drop database is only
recognized if it is "use"ed ( seems to be the same Problem )

- If nothing beside bin-log is set on master,
with replicate-do-db= or replicate-ignore-db= on slaves
problem seems to be the same (as stated in the mysql-doc ).
Furthermore I don't want to use any of the "ignore" directives
Can i ignore %.% and replicate-do-wild=db.% ?

- if replicate-do-wild-table=dbname.%, then i get
the "create database" for any database from master.

Isn't it possible to do something like
bin-log-do-db=xxx on master, nothing on slave and
to get all updates to mysql concerning this database
(i.e. drop database, create database, any crossupdates)
as one - o.k., me - would think prior to use ?

Another, similar, effect: i would assume SET sql_log_bin = 0
to forbidd logging for *all* processes and all databases, but
it seems to be only for the current process and all databases.
Is there a command like set sql_log_bin_ALL|ME_DATABASE|ALL = 0 ?
For now, i have to shtdown mysql, change my.cnf, then restart.

Third Problem:
What about sort of SET other_clients_can't_connect = 1 ?
For sure, i can do flush tables with read lock, update and
release lock, but possible client's would not notice, so
i have to shutdown the db after my update to get sane state.

Thanks,
Jürgen

--
Jürgen Jaeschke                          Humboldt-University Berlin
Department of Computer Uses in Education Geschwister-Scholl-Str. 7