I read your article and found it to be interesting and overall, quite
accurate.

I do have one bone to pick with you however.

I know the MySQL staffer who worked the MySQL portion of the test.  I had
occasion to meet him and talk briefly about the PC Magazine test in Houston
the week following the test.

>From my discussions with him, I also believe that the MySQL folks asked if
they could use a Linux based platform instead of Win2K and were told no.

That's fine in that it makes the comparisons fair for all vendors.

Frankly, I was surprised that MySQL did as well as it did under Win2K!

My problem is that you then published numbers for MS SQL Server running in a
non-standard configuration from the rest of the test!

"... As an extra data point, we also rewrote the benchmark in ASP .Net and,
due to time constraints, tested just SQL Server on this platform. We stress
that the results of this test are not comparable to the Java benchmark
results because the ASP .Net test used a different Web server (Internet
Information Services 5.0), different application engine (ASP .Net) and
different database driver (OLE DB).
However, our results do provide evidence that this all-Microsoft software
stack can produce excellent performance, peaking at just under 870 pages per
second ..."
This leads one to believe that SQL Server and an all Microsoft solution is
better than the 600 pages per second that MySQL and Oracle were able to
serve up.
At least that would have been the conclusion that I would have drawn from
your article, not knowing the the test environment was supposedly fixed for
all competitors.
If you want to let SQL Server turn in it's highest numbers by running on a
native platorm, that's fine.  Just let the rest of the competitors do the
same.
Yes, I know that everyone would be interested in .Net performance, but I
just don't think it should have been presented in a way that appears
misleading.

Ken Hylton
Programmer Analyst IV
LEC Systems & Programming