1.  If you can view "blahblah;;" in the password field of the user table, then the
password wasn't encoded in the
first place.  That leads one to conclude the change was accomplished using  UPDATE and
the field was set to
"blahblah;;" and not to PASSWORD('blahblah;;').  What mysql stores in the password
field is the
encrypted PW which would not be recognizeable as the original that you need to use to
log in.

2.  Using the proper GRANT or UPDATE syntax, it is possible to set up a user with
semi-colons (;) in the password. I
tested with and without escaping the semi-colon, and it works either way.

3.  For all other details, rtfm.

Doug