Ed Carp ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

> Hi!  I'm having a problem with mysql hanging.  I'm running mysql-3.23.36 on
> a Linux 2.2.17 kernel.  It ran just fine last week, but when we rebooted the
> box, mysql will start, but connections to the database just hang.
> mysqldmin, etc. all hang also.  /tmp/mysqld.sock is being created, but when
> we do a "telnet localhost 3306", it connects, but we don't get the
> characteristic "3.23.36<garbage>" string that we would normally see.  Any
> hints?

An update: I upgraded to RedHat Linux 7.2 (the server was running 6.2), only to find
the system unusable - common programs would core dump, leading me to believe the
shared libraries had gotten trashed.  So, I pulled a 20GB drive off the shelf,
formatted it, loaded RedHat 7.2 on it, restored the databases, and everything works
fine.

I still don't know what the problem was.  I hope it doesn't come back :(
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  214/341-4420 - http://www.pobox.com/~erc

"I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S.
government will lead the American people in and the West in general into an
unbearable hell and a choking life."  --Osama bin Laden

Look around - he's right... :(