From: "Alex Lui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am newbie in PHP/MySQL. I am going to write an application of PHP/MySQL.
> need one password table to do user authentication job. My application user
> will be given accounts for using MySQL with appropriate  privileges. And,
> found table mysql.user which is similar to my proposed password table. Is
it
> ok to use this table to control the access right of a PHP program instead
of
> creating  another one for that.

The mysql.user table is for controlling the actual MySQL user rights to the
daemon. You don't want to use this for your application, especially as you'd
now have a web-based user with rights to the reserved mysql database. That's
a huge security risk.

I'd highly recommend creating a new table, outside of the reserved mysql
database, and leave that database for root users only.

--
denonymous
www.coldcircuit.net