The directory space in which mysqld places the data is capable of containing multiple
databases (related groups of
tables) and tables (related groupings of data) up to the physical limits of your
computer system.

The "mysql database" contains the tables that hold information concerning user
privileges.  I agree that it's mostly
irrelevant on a win98 system, but the relevance is a function of the OS and not mysql.
 You should not add tables to
the mysql database.  For the installation default, the Test database is available for
adding tables such as the ones
you name.  You can also create your own databases with the simple sql command: CREATE
DATABASE databasename and
populate them with any related tables you want.

Perhaps you have misunderstood how mysql organizes everything and you are wanting to
do something that you don't need
to do.  Otherwise, I don't know if win98 is capable of hosting multiple instances of
mysql which, AFAIK, is what is
necessary to accomplish your objective.

Regards,
Doug