Newbert, Joe queried

> Hi, I have a database with a list of users who I would like to contact
> periodically.  So I need a mailing list manager.
>
> Ideally I would like a client side application that enables you to send
> individual email messages based on a sql query (not all people will be
> interested in the message)
>
> I don't want to pay (but will if there is a good cheap application).  I am
> happy to develop/alter if fairly simple and do not mind which language
i.e.
> Java, Smalltalk.

Perl has at least two in CPAN. I forget whether they use MySQL or simple
text file databases. I even vaguely recall that one of the Perl mail
managers might provide something like what you ask for in sending messages
based on a query.

http://www.cpan.org  or google it.

I seem to recall at least one similar php module, but I remember deciding
not to use it. I don't remember where I found it, but google is always a
good start.

We wrote a simple mail manager for a customer's site recently in php. I
would have preferred perl, but php was specified by the time I got into
things. If you're good at php and MSW2k services, it should be possible to
build in a man-week. The biggest headache was scheduling using MSW2k's
services. (Well, no, the biggest headache is an alternate download feature
which I am trying to re-build right now, another curse for MSIE for not
handling headers and timeouts very well.)

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka