You have written the following:

I have a mysql database table that is currently 1.5G in size with well over
million records. It is running on a twin pentium 3 1G processor machine with
SuSE Linux version 1.4.

Recently inserts have become VERY slow (several seconds). As I am adding
around 7K new fields a day, this is becoming a big problem.

I recently increased the machine memory from 512K to 2G at some expense! It
made no difference. I am using the HUGE version of my.cnf as shipped.

Anybody got any ideas how to speed things up. Why did the memory increase
not help at all???

Howard