Thank you for the reply.  However, unfortunately the documentation that
you refer to -- while instructive in respect to DBI usage -- does not
answer my question, which is simply:

Must I install MySQL on a client workstation/PC in order to run perl/DBI
scripts that query a local MySQL server?

I know I do need to install DBI, DBD:MySQL, however, I'm not sure what,
if anything else I need to install on the client?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard