> thanks for the reply, but when I typed "mysql" I meant it without
the "d".

Yes,  I understand,  and I see that it is in the help,  but it was my
understanding the the character set (at this time) MUST be selected on
the server and cannot be selected on the client, but perhaps I am
wrong.  This is confusing as 'mysql --help' does show it as a valid
option!

Perhaps a developer can comment.

Ken

> I'm using the client for lots of batch i/o, little utilities and
quick
> maintenance. I'm using it on quite a couple of systems (linux in all
flavors
> and FreeBSD), but only on one of this systems it shows this
misbehaviour with
> not accepting umlauts.
>
> s.m.
>

> Am Dienstag, 19. März 2002 21:02 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi Sasha,
> >   I assume it not a mistake (as you typed 'mysql' twice),  but
mysql
> > is the name of the client program,  you must start the server
program
> > (safe_mysqld) with the  --default-character-set=latin_de.  First
use
> > mysqladmin to shutdown the server, then restart it with
safe_mysqld.
> > Also I would recommend that you create a '/etc/my.cnf' file and
place
> > your options in that file.  You can find examples in the
> > 'support-files' directory of the mysql source code.
> >
> > Ich hoffe daß ich dir geholfen habe.
> > Ken

No

> > luck.
> >
> > > This is not a general problem of my system's configuration.
Umlauts

> > work from
> >
> > > the console, in xterm and konsole and all other editors and
> >
> > programs - except
> >
> > > mysql. Does anyone know why? I did not have this problem with
> >
> > earlier mysql
> >
> > > installations and do not have it on other machines.
> > >
> > > s.m.

> > > To request this thread, e-mail
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>