Hi all:

I am having a huge problem setting up replication between 2 mysql
databases on the same server. The reason for doing this is to use the
slave database for backups thus avoiding the need to down the master
database.

I am consistently getting "Error 1200: The server is not configured as a
slave, fix in config or with CHANGE MASTER TO". I have (I think)
followed the documentation but despite what I do, I continue to get
errors.

I am using mysqld_multi to kick off both databases correctly, and both
ports respond to telnet. The sockets are being created correctly and
remove correctly when I use mysqld_multi.

Has anyone seen this error before? Am I trying to do something that is
known not to work? Can anyone help in debugging this problem. Below is
more specific data for my configuration:

MySQL version: 3.23.49a
Running on Linux RedHat 7.2

/etc/my.cnf:
[mysqld_multi]
mysqld     = /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld
mysqladmin = /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin
user       = root
password   = <snip>

# The MySQL servers
# mysqld1 is the master server
# mysqld2 is the slave server

[mysqld1]
socket     = /tmp/mysql.sock
port       = 3306
pid-file   = /usr/local/mysql/data/master.pid
datadir    = /usr/local/mysql/data
language   = /usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/english
user       = root

[mysqld2]
socket     = /tmp/mysql_slave.sock
port       = 3307
pid-file   = /opt/src/mysql/data/slave.pid
datadir    = /opt/src/mysql/data
language   = /opt/src/mysql/share/mysql/english
user       = root

/usr/local/mysql/my.cnf:
[client]
port           = 3306
socket         = /tmp/mysql.sock

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
set-variable    = max_connections=2048
set-variable    = key_buffer=512M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M
set-variable    = table_cache=512
set-variable    = sort_buffer=128M
set-variable    = record_buffer=16M
set-variable    = thread_cache=16
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=8
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=256M
log-bin
server-id       = 1
replicate-do-db = tivo_vb1
log-slow-queries=/var/lib/mysql/slowqueries

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=256M