Hi Mike,

You queried:

> Just a quick question, if I am going to make a database using MYSQL and
have
> front end applications, is it better to give each user a username/pass and
> have them enter it into the front end to be passed to the server, or
should
> I give the app a password, hardcode it into the app for database
> connections, and have a user/pass table which the app  uses to
authenticate
> users? I would like the users to not be able to connect directly to the
> server, as different, competing client's data is stored on the same table,
> and the app has to make sure they cannot see eachother's data.
>
> Mike

I would guess you would want to keep the MySQL passwords for internal use --
maintaining the security of the system, and implement an external password
scheme for your users. That would give you more flexibility with the
end-users. Particularly, during development and pre-alpha demos for
feedback, you can use something really simple, leaving time to get the
database right. Then you can make the security as tight as necessary after
you have a good idea of what the users needs are.

If the number of users is "small", you might want to parallel the user's
passwords with internal database passwords that the end user should never
see. You would have to weigh the increase in complexity and chances for
holes against the expected gain, of course. And possibly increased time for
development.

Another thought, I noticed while perusing the manual (section 4.1.4)
yesterday that (at least under *NIX) MySQL can run multiple instances of
itself. So you could have a "virtual" server for each registered end-user or
something like that, with a master server to hold all the tables everybody
needs to see. Or perhaps a server for each party. Again, you would have a
lot of trade-offs to consider.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka