Young Sul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a website that uses a mysql backend database. Due to the way in
> which
> the database and development has been architected, I'm unable to
> load-balance
> the database between multiple DB servers, taking advantage of replication
> inherent
> in mysql. (this is due largely to developmental constraints, and heavy use
> of write
> only session-management)
>
> I *need* to somehow mirror and create a decent failover environment for my
> database.
>
> Currently, I mirror the master DB on another server, and can switch over
> ...manually...
> if the master dies.
>
> I'm wondering if others on this list have encountered a similar situation --
> how did
> you finally architect your DB environment?

One thing I have done with a PHP/MySQL web site that is heavily DB
driven for fail over is the following.  I mirror all the PHP code to a
second server.  The second server is a replication slave for the
database.  If the database fails or has issues then a redirect is given,
sending the user to the backup server.  Some tracking is lost, but for
me that is okay right now.  Two way replication would solve this by
sending any changes back to the master when it comes up.

This now makes the problem simpiler by only have to detect when the
webserver is down.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .