Hello,
I hope someone here can help me out with this. I can't find anything in the
documentation that does help. Everything points to the port being in use,
however it isn't. I know it for a fact (netstat/telnet), no the mysqld also
is not running, I know that for a fact (process list).

I installed mysql-3.23.49-win on Windows 2000 to drive D: (the installer
lets one choose the location). After reading the docs, I can see that I need
to start the daemon like this:
mysqld --basedir d:\mysql
However, when I do it I get this:
D:\mysql\bin>mysqld --basedir d:\mysql
Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: No error
020318 14:54:30  Do you already have another mysqld server running on port:
3306 ?
020318 14:54:31  Aborting

020318 14:54:31  mysqld: Shutdown Complete

Netstat -a reveals that nothing is using port 3306. The port is free. There
is no local firewall on the computer blocking the port either.

I have also tried the --port option to point to another port. Nope.
Interesting how mysql says all ports are in use, even when they are not.

Running mysqld without any arguments results in a 30 sec delay, then the
command prompt reapears and the deamon is not running. I added a my.cnf to
the C:\ and this also has no effect. I then removed this and tried the
winmysqladmin.exe and this also does not help. However, it also does not
report any errors, with the exception of trying to generate an error report
with it, which returns the wonderfull error message that it can't generate a
report because it can't connect to the server, hmm, why offer to generate an
error report if it can only do it when it can connect? Not much help when
you can get the server started.

Can someone please explain to me how in the world to get the mysql server
running on Windows 2000? I have administrator rights to the computer and
have restarted after the installation.

Thanks

Synopsis: Impossible to start or use mysql (or the daemon) based on the
documentation.
Category: mysqld
Class:  sw-bug
Release: mysql-3.23.49
Exectutable:   mysqld
Environment:   PIII800, 256MB RAM, 14GB free hdd space
System:        Win200
Compiler:      NA
Architecture:  i