MySQL Error: 1049 (Unknown database 'databasename')

I having a very weird unpredictable problem.  I have a webserver which
makes database connections via Perl and DBI.  For the most part it works
pretty much all the time but sometimes (2 or 4 times per month) it gives
an error:  Unknown database 'databasename'.

Now,  nothing has changed.  I'm notified of the "unknown database"
message, then when I check things out, I'm able to connect to the
database.  This very strange.

While searching the archives, I noticed at least 2 other people with the
same problem and we are all running some 4.x version of FreeBSD.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ozette