Ron,
Wednesday, March 20, 2002, 2:30:56 AM, you wrote:

RS> I'm installing MySQLto a Corel /Debian platform, following
RS> directions in the book Beginning PHP4.  Successfully
RS> did ./configure, make, make install, and mysql_install_db
RS> as described on page 387.  The book says I'll now need to
RS> start and stop the Mysql server using two sample
RS> scripts, to wit:

RS>             [sample startmysqld script]

RS> #! /bin/bash
RS> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &

RS>            [sample stopmysqld script]

RS> #!/bin/bash
RS> kill 'cat /usr/var/$HOSTNAME.pid'

Use mysqladmin shutdown instead of kill 'cat /usr/var/$HOSTNAME.pid'.

RS> Looks easy enough except that I don't have a clue where
RS> these scripts are supposed to reside on my system.  And/or
RS> whether I'm supposed to execute these manually from
RS> a console prompt or have them run automatically at
RS> boot and shutdown.

By default safe_mysqld is located in /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin. You
can find location of safe_mysqld by using command
    whereis safe_mysqld

To start and stop mysql server at boot and shutdown edit your
initscripts (it depends on how the Corel/Debian Linux is
handling the boot process).

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko