Hi,

The problem was due to permissions in the end, i used
the following commands to get into the database:
shell> chown -R root .
shell> chown -R root ./bin
shell> bin/safe_mysqld --user=root &
bin/mysqladmin version
.
.
 bin/mysql

I can now use the database, but it still doesn't
explain why i suddenly wasn't able to use the
database, even though i am the only one using it.

Anyway thanks for the reply.
Colin

--- sascha mantscheff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> probably something wrong with the permissions in the
> mysql database.
> as a workaround, try to connect not via the local
> socket, but via a
> tcp/ip-connection:
>       # mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u my-user -p my-database
> or insert the real ip of the machine instead of the
> loopback address.
>
> check if there is an entry in the mysql.user table
> with host="localhost" and
> user="". this would preclude any local user to log
> into the database.
>
> s.m.
>

> Am Dienstag, 19. März 2002 22:04 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi,
> >
> > When i try to access the database which is on my
> Linux
> > machine i get the following error:
> > ERROR 2002; Can't connect to local MySQL server
> > through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)
> >
> > There is nothing in this file, although i dont
> know
> > how to edit it.
> >
> > I have gone through the Manual pages and the
> lists,
> > all the searches for this type of ERROR, but to no
> > avail.
> >
> > I have used the database before and have tables in
> > there but for some reason i cannot get in.
> >
> > I don't want to reinstall it as i have tables that
> > need, I am really stuck so any help will be very
> much
> > appreciated,
> > Thanks
> > Colin

> > Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage
> > http://sports.yahoo.com/

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Trouble
> > unsubscribing? Try: