Hi Again

Thanks for all the responces

> Check the manual section on the query optimiser,.I seem to remember that
if
> MySQL has to check more that some percentage of a table (30% ?) the
> optimiser guesses it can search the entire table just as quickly.
> Someone please correct my if I'm wrong.
>
> Try 'select domain_id, count(*) from mailstat group by domain_id'  to
check the
> distribution of your data.

Hmm, well u r obviously right, its cos it thinks that there are so many '2's
that it isnt using the index...only its wrong :(

mysql> select domain_id,count(*) from mailstat group by domain_id limit 10;
+-----------+----------+
| domain_id | count(*) |
+-----------+----------+
|         0 |  1284985 |
|         1 |   156373 |
|         2 |   636675 |
|         3 |    40187 |
|         4 |     2712 |
|         6 |       44 |
|         7 |     5469 |
|         8 |        9 |
|         9 |        6 |
|        10 |       10 |
+-----------+----------+
10 rows in set (8.21 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from mailstat;
+----------+
| count(*) |
|  2961765 |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

The only value near 30% of the rows is a value of 0, and this value will
never be queried for the reports, as the reports are for specific domains.

I tried an analyze table on the mailstat table, but this didnt change
anything....

Thanks for the help anyways.

Cheers, Steve