At 15:21 -0800 3/21/02, Nick Arnett wrote:
>I have something odd happening with a bulk insert file and haven't been able
>to find anything in docs or archives that gives me a clue what's going on.
>I'm creating a bulk insert file programmatically with Python.  Everything
>seems to work fine, except that in the last field of each record, a return
>character ('\n') is getting tacked onto the field data.  I'm using LOAD DATA

That's not a return, that's a linefeed (aka newline).  Do you mean \r
instead?  If so, the problem may be that your file is CRLF terminated,
and the CR is not being taken as part of the record terminator, so it
becomes part of the data.

>INFILE's defaults -- tab-separated fields and return-separated records.  I

The default is linefeed-separate, not return separated.

I suggest that you run your data file through a hex dump utility to see
what it really contains.  And that you avoid conflating return with linefeed,
because they're different, and not treating them as such will cause you
endless headaches.