Hi,

We just moved our operation to a new hosting company, and in the
process went from an old version of Slackware linux running MySQL
3.22.xx to systems running RedHat 7.1 and MySQL 3.23.37.

When I do a large LOAD DATA INFILE or something else that puts a
tidbit of strain on the database, all of a sudden mysql spins out of
control, with connections piling up and the load meter spiking, until
we hit the connection limit and then things start to calm back down.
But it means that our website is more or less unavailable for 15
minutes or so.

The database is running on its own server, a 1GHz machine with 1 GB
of RAM.  The disk is SCSI RAID 5. I've tried cranking up the various
tuning parameters, based on the my-huge.cnf that comes with the
source distribution.  The binary we're running on is the one that
comes with the system.  I've already tried --memlock, as I've seen
reports of the 2.4 linux kernel causing problems when it gets overly
agressive about swapping things out.

I've also managed to make my RH 7.2 box do this on a smaller scale,
running the latest binary RPM from MySQL.

Am I missing something obvious?  99% of the time the server is
completely bored.  Given that we've doubled our RAM and doubled our
processor speed on the same size database, there's no reason the
server should be running out of gas.

--
Christopher Manly
Akademos, Inc.