Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Mar 22), Ozette Brown said:
> > Andrey,
> >
> > Thank you for the reply.
> >
> > I read somewhere that when checking your maximum file descriptors your
>"kern.maxfiles
> > should be greater than kern.maxfilesperproc.  My settings are:
> > kern.maxfiles = 8232
> > kern.maxfilesperproc = 8232
> > So, with that said, my kern.maxfiles should be much higher, no (based on your
>reply)?
>
> If you're really hitting the system's open-file limit, you will see
> "file table full" errors in /var/log/messages.  I really doubt this,
> though, because you would have problems running anything on the system
> if this were the case.  You're probably hitting a per-user resource limit
> or need to bump up table_cache in mysql.
>
> What do the following print out (run them after the server has been up
> a while):
>
> sysctl kern.maxfiles kern.maxfilesperproc kern.openfiles
> limits -n
> mysql -e "show variables like 'table_cache'"
> mysql -e "show status like 'Open%'"
>
> --
>         Dan Nelson
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dan,

I guess I'm not hitting my systems openfile limit because I do not see "file table
full"
in my /var/log/messages.
Here's the other info you inquired about:

m1# sysctl kern.maxfiles kern.maxfilesperproc kern.openfiles
kern.maxfiles: 8232
kern.maxfilesperproc: 8232
kern.openfiles: 808

m1# limits -n
limits: option requires an argument -- n
Resource limits (current):
  openfiles            8232

m1# mysql -e "show variables like 'table_cache'"
+---------------+-------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------+-------+
| table_cache   | 256   |