I'm looking for a function that will take a string or char* of 256bit
ascii (or other stuff) and convert it into something that can be
inserted into a varchar type in mysql.  Then when the data gets pulled
out it would be converted back.  I know I need to convert quotes and
some control characters.  Is there such a function in the mysqlc++
libraries or somewhere that I can use for this?

What is done for binary files such as images?

Thanks,

Eric