mysql

Michael,
You can look at the results after the dash lines.
You will notice

mysql -u root -h localhost -p does not help at all.

I clicked enter to by pass the password;it is acceptable for the root, but look at the
results.

C:\mysql\bin>mysql -u alan -h localhost -p
Enter password: ******
Your MySQL connection id is 28 to server version: 3.23.49-nt

mysql> grant all on mysql.* to root@localhost identified by"password";
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> \q
Bye

C:\mysql\bin>mysql -u root -h localhost -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)

That is why I stayed with alan as the user instead of the root until the solution is
fixed.